I have been looking into campsites in southern Wisconsin area just this past week. I wanted to get an idea of possible campsites/cabin rentals. As of now, a reunion in either Wisconsin or Illinois is preferred. There is a venue that the aunts and uncles will be using this weekend in Nebraska (last I heard), that may be another viable option for the reunion location. Please let me know about this location after you use it.
How would you all feel about cabin rentals as opposed to a lodge? I've looked into one site that offers cabin rentals. This way, families could "go-in-on" a cabin together (some cabins sleep up to 10 people). This eliminates the need to rent a common space as each cabin has a living room (we could designate the largest cabin as the all-purpose space for everyone to use--game playing, conversation, etc.). Also, each cabin is equipped with a kitchen (some larger than others), so we could buy food and make food on location which could help save money.
Please contribute your thoughts on the location and venue options for the reunion. It's going to be necessary to have an exact location determined by mid-summer so that we can proceed with reservations.
Another question: how many of you intending to come and will be driving or flying out (would it be necessary to find a location near an airport or not)?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey, Lisa, Sherry here... don't have an account, so I am "annonymous". Anyways, I think a change in scenery would be nice, but if most people will have to fly, a location within a few hours of a lot of fun stuff to do would be good -- Dan and I would want to make a longer vacation out of it(either before or after the reunion) if we are flying.
ReplyDeleteYay for Illinois! We could look for places around here, too, if you need. O'Hare and Midway airports are closeby--we could do Starved Rock or some place like that. And then for folks like Sherry who want to vacation afterwards: they could go to Chicago, or do the western suburbs (museums, zoos, shopping), or Lake Michigan, etc.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, let me know if you need any help with internet research. I have some time.
We may be flying in since either of those places would be a good long drive for us. So I would opt for a place near an airport, too. As far as cabin vs. lodge, I think as long as we have a large enough hang out area, I wouldn't mind having a more private sleeping area. : )
ReplyDeleteHey all, Wendy here!
ReplyDeleteWe will probably be driving, so Colorado or Nebraska are within our typical 28 hour stint; Wisconsin or Illinois would add 10-12 hours, so are not as appealing. Nebraska would probably be my first choice since we would combine the trip with seeing my folks and relatives from my mom's side, too. Regardless of the actual location, we liked the campground experience in Nebraska in 2005, and cabins would be nice but I wonder how big of a living area we are talking about? We are a really big group by now, so would we be splitting into smaller groups to eat in different cabins? We could probably do big gatherings outdoors if the weather is nice...and are the cabins air-conditioned? I know that will be important for my Dad with his MS...he has to keep cool. We sure missed seeing you all last year, so it's fun to plan to see you in 2011!
Kyra here,
ReplyDeleteLisa that sounds great, "the cabins" and I have never been to either state so whatever works best for the family as a whole. Looks like north carolina might be the next stop for us in this army life we have going on. so the airfare wont be quit so steep. how is the baby doing?
Cork for C&C: The venue for the sibling reunion is Carol's house with folks staying at Carol's in Bellevue, NE, and at Jeannie's in Lincoln. From reading the above, there is a wide variety of opinion, so before commenting further, Monday will be the perfect opportunity for a sibling group discussion. C&C will be able to adapt to most any final location, since we have an empty nest. To answer your other questions, Lisa, if you choose the sibling reunion venue, we'll be walking and we are close to an airport. :) :)
ReplyDeleteHey Lisa,
ReplyDeleteKami and Jason here.
I am not dure when we will be leaving Hawaii. Jason has not received orders yet to PCS somewhere. OUr tour of duty here should end this year. Jason might also chapter out of the Army from the med board. His back is really messed up. So we are not sure where we will be for 2011. However, Colorado seems like a good state with opportunites for us both. So if the Reunion is in Nebraska that is great. However, we dont mind traveling somewhere new. Yet, cost is a concern for us. I know my Mom can not afford to go to another state.
I like the cabin idea. Maybe Kyra and I can bunk all together that would be total of 7 plus Kareena is 8.
Dear Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI'm hearing what Wendy says the most at this point. I'd really like to get to see her. I wouldn't mind a trip to MN to see her this summer on Dave and Nancy's time, but don't think it will happen. At any rate, good ole Nebraska may have to be it unless we can miraculously fly 6 people from WA to wherever, or Hawaii to wherever, etc., etc. Money, money, money.... In two years things will be different, and it is especially important to weigh in the economy, health, numbers and needs. With all this input, I hope we can come up with something that will work and be acceptable for everyone. Something new would be nice, but not necessary. What is important - is family and the effort to connect as much as possible. Thanks for all your research, etc., Lisa and Taryn. We'll be praying...
Luther and Lori
Chicago
ReplyDelete